Sunday, June 19, 2011

Smokey Corn Risotto


I absolutely love being able to cook, and cook inexpensively when I have to.  This was one of those times due to a snaffu with payroll this past week.  I did go to my local Bargain Market Grocery Outlet (yes I know that's not its real name, but what store needs 4 words to be its name?  I will call it what I like!) and found a quart of Pacific Organics Southwest Corn Soup, a can of creamed corn (I forgot the brand but a PNW organic brand), and a pound cube of Monterrey-Jack Cheese; I had rice, cilantro and a lime at home.

So in the end for under $5 I have about 6 side dish servings of risotto which is definitely becoming my absolute most favorite thing to eat.  Risotto and Pho are my new comfort foods.  Recipe-ish made up by me below:

Smokey Corn Risotto
  • 2 c Rice (I use a short grain brown rice, arborrio will work too)
  • 1- 14oz can of Cream Corn (I prefer one with some whole kernel corn in it)
  • 1- 32oz container Southwest Corn Soup (a creamy puree as opposed to a chunky soup)
  • 16 oz Water or Veggie Stock (I used water)
  • 1 Tablespoon Cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced Chipotle (with Adobo sauce on it, more if you like the heat)
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 small bunch Cilantro
  • 1/2 lime juiced and zested
  • 8oz Monterrey-Jack Cheese cut into small pieces or shredded
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  1. In a medium sauce pan mix together the soup, water, cumin, chipotle and paprika and warm over low heat
  2. In a large sauce pan or stock pot combine the cream corn and the rice over medium heat until mix starts to bubble, reduce heat to low
  3. Add 1 cup at a time the soup mix to the rice, stirring often to ensure that rice does not stick (I prefer a non-stick pan)
  4. Continue to add soup mixture in one cup intervals as the liquid is absorbed by the rice.  After the last of the liquid has been absorbed, test the rice for doneness.  If it is still al dente add an additional cup of water cover for 5-7 minutes allowing the rice to finish cooking.
  5. Once rice has gotten to its desired texture and risotto has a creamy appearance remove from the heat
  6. Stir in the cheese, cilantro, lime juice and zest.  Continue to stir until cheese has completely melted, returning to the heat if using larger chunks that do not melt.  
  7. At this point I would taste test and add the salt and pepper to your liking.  I used about 1 teaspoon of each for myself.
  8. Add a touch of water if the consistency is too thick.
I would garnish with green onions, avocado, tomato, or just cilantro and a lime wedge.  This would also make a wonderful accompaniment to some cooked black beans topped with some Queso Fresco or a black bean burger.

    2 comments:

    1. Sounds yummy, gonna have to try this out on the hubby.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks Grimmy! You should definitely try it out. You may have to adjust the spices since I was just guessing mostly when I put the recipe together. I know it seemed like I used a lot of cumin, I'm not sure if that measurement is correct.

      ReplyDelete