Saturday, July 2, 2011

Sauteed Portobello Tacos with Salsa Verde

Pre- and Post- Assembly

After the most epic of epic grocery shopping adventure, my cupboards and fridge are packed with wonderful things.  I over spent by about $50, but its been a while since I've had the chance to have really great things that I want.  I blame soy-free meat substitutes.

So the predicament came when I was hungry and had all of these wonderful things planned and didn't know what I wanted.  Light, but filling and flavorful was the goal.  I had found a recipe on Vegetarian Times website for Grilled Portobello Tacos with Salsa Verde.  Considering I have no grill, I just sauteed the mushrooms on the stove in a non-stick pan with a little olive oil and the marinade.  Recipe below c/o Vegetarian Times.

Serves 6
Marinade
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
Tacos
  • 6 large portobello mushroom caps
  • 6 6-inch soft corn tortillas
  • 2 avocados, sliced
  • 2 cups chopped tomatoes
  • 3 cups shredded cabbage
  • Sour cream, optional
Salsa Verde
  • 4 tomatillos, chopped (or 1 cup canned)
  • 1 large green bell pepper or poblano chile, roughly chopped
  • 1 large bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 3 tsp. organic sugar or agave nectar
  • 1 1/4 tsp. canola oil
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

Directions

1. Preheat grill or grill pan to high heat. To make Marinade: combine all ingredients in small bowl.

To make Tacos:
2. Brush mushroom caps with marinade. Grill mushrooms 3 to 5 minutes per side. Cool until easy to handle, then slice into strips.

To make Salsa Verde:
3. Purée all ingredients in food processor 1 minute, or until smooth. Pour salsa over mushroom strips, and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.

4. Lightly warm tortillas 15 seconds per side in skillet or on griddle. Fill tortillas with sliced mushrooms, avocado slices, tomatoes, and cabbage. Top each taco with sour cream, if using.

** My mods- I first cut the recipe in 1/3, I used lime juice instead of the balsamic for the marinade, and I used a red pepper instead of green in the salsa and green onions instead of standard.**

Cheers!
    M

No comments:

Post a Comment